Makes 6 servings
6 large apples, peeled, cored and medium diced (2 each of 3 different varieties: Granny Smith, Winesap, Rome Beauty, Stayman, Braeburn)
6 tablespoons sugar, divided
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1 lemon, juiced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 pint vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place the apples and half the sugar (3 tablespoons) into a saucepan and cook over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes or until apples begin to soften.
3. Drain them and set aside.
4. Combine the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in a bowl. Blend with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
5. Coat the apples with the lemon juice and spoon into a deep baking dish.
6. Top with the crumble mix and sprinkle with the brown sugar, and bake until done, about 30 minutes.
7. Serve scoops topped with vanilla ice cream.