Brainfood Kitchen All Stars
Brainfood Kitchen All Stars
October - May
Brainfood Kitchen All Stars is a year-long program (October - May) that introduces participants to learning life skills and leadership skills through food and cooking. Participants have the opportunity to learn about food, nutrition, cooking, and jobs in the food industry through activities, games, restaurant visits, cooking in our kitchen, and working with guest chefs.
Why should I do Brainfood Kitchen All Stars?
- Learn cooking skills and eat good food!
- Learn about food and the community
- Get Community Service Hours
- Have fun and meet new people
During the school year, Brainfood offers four Kitchen All Stars classes:
- Monday & Wednesday class (Columbia Heights 4 – 6:30pm)
- Monday & Wednesday class (Chinatown 4 – 6:30pm)
- Tuesday & Thursday class (Columbia Heights 4 – 6:30pm)
- Tuesday & Thursday class (Chinatown 4 – 6:30pm)
Students who are interested in joining Brainfood Kitchen All Stars need to be able to attend program for the entire school year (October – May).
How to Join the Kitchen All Stars Program
Student Orientations for Fall 2016 are complete. Brainfood is currently accepting Wait List Applications for students interested in joining Brainfood Kitchen All Stars as spots become available.
Students who are interested in joining the Kitchen All Stars should complete the following steps:
Step 1: Fill out a Brainfood Kitchen All Stars Application
Brainfood will be recruiting at local high schools during August and September. Interested youth can fill out an application during the recruitment session at their school site and turn it in directly to Brainfood staff.
If students are not able to attend a recruitment session or Brainfood does not recruit at your school, interested youth will need to fill out a Brainfood Kitchen All Stars application and fax, email, or mail in the completed application.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail to: Brainfood, 755 8th Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20001
Fax to: (202) 478-0502
*If students have not mailed or sent in their application, they are welcome to attend one of the Brainfood After School Orientations and bring their filled out application with them.
Step 2: Attend ONE of the Orientation Sessions
Attending an orientation session is MANDATORY for enrollment into the Brainfood Kitchen All Stars program. Youth only need to attend one orientation session.
- At orientation, youth will learn more about the Brainfood Kitchen All Stars program, meet program staff, tour the facilities, and be interviewed to determine their schedule compatibility and their interest in the program.
- Applicants will be notified in October whether they have been accepted into the program.
- Priority will be given to applicants who (1) reside and/or attend school in Washington, DC, (2) can arrive at their assigned class location by 4pm, and (3) can attend the program for the entire school year.
In the event that we have more applicants than spots, some students may be placed on a wait list. If a student is placed on the wait list, Brainfood will keep their information on file and contact the student if a spot opens up in his/her desired class & location.
If a student finds out about Brainfood after our orientation sessions, they can apply to be placed on our wait list and may be admitted on a case-by-case basis as spaces open up.
Students who are interested in being added to the Brainfood Kitchen All Stars wait list should complete the following steps:
Fill out a Wait List Application
If a student completes the wait list application, Brainfood will keep their information on file and contact the student if a spot opens up in his/her desired class & location.