Brainfood Summer Institute
Brainfood Summer Institute
Brainfood Summer Institute is six-week summer program based on the content for our Kitchen All Stars program. This program introduces participants to learning life skills and leadership skills through food and cooking. Participants have the opportunity to learn about food, nutrition, cooking, and jobs in the food industry through activities, games, restaurant visits, cooking in our kitchen, and working with guest chefs.
Why should I do Brainfood Summer Institute?
- Learn cooking skills and eat good food!
- Learn about food and the community
- Get Community Service Hours
- Have fun and meet new people
- It's free!
Participants attend classes 5 days/week (Monday - Friday) from 1:00pm - 5:00pm. This program is offered at our Chinatown site only: 733 8th Street NW, Washington DC 20001.
How to Join the Summer Institute
Students who are interested in joining the Brainfood Summer Insitute should complete the following steps:
Step 1: Fill out a Brainfood Summer Institute Application
Brainfood will be recruiting at local high schools during May and June. Interested youth can fill out an application during the recruitment session at their school site and turn it in directly to Brainfood staff.
If students are not able to attend a recruitment session or Brainfood does not recruit at your school, interested youth will need to fill out a Brainfood Summer Institute application and fax, email, or mail in the completed application.
Email to: email@example.com
Mail to: Brainfood, 755 8th Street NW, Washington D.C. 20001
*If students have not mailed or sent in their application prior to the orientation date, they are welcome to attend the Summer Institute Orientation and bring their filled out application with them.
Step 2: Attend our Brainfood Summer Institute Orientation Session
Attending an orientation session is MANDATORY for enrollment into the Brainfood Summer Institute.
Either Tuesday, June 16th OR Wednesday, June 17th at 4:00 pm at Brainfood Chinatown (733 8th St. NW).
- At orientation, youth will learn more about the Brainfood Summer Institute, meet program staff, tour the facilities, and be interviewed to determine their schedule compatibility and their interest in the program.
- Applicants will be notified later that week if they are accepted into the program.
- Priority will be given to applicants who (1) reside and/or attend school in Washington, DC, (2) can arrive at the class location by 1pm, and (3) can attend the program for the entire 6 weeks.
*** After orientation, students may be admitted on a case-by-case basis as spaces open up.