Brainfood is a program where high school aged youth can learn about food, nutrition, cooking, and jobs in the food industry through activities, games, restaurant visits, cooking in our kitchen, and working with guest chefs.
Brainfood currently has 3 programs that serve youth in the Washington DC community:
- Brainfood Kitchen All Stars is a year-long program (September - May).
Participants attend classes 2 days/week (Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday) from 4:00pm - 6:30pm.
- Brainfood Community MVPs is a year-long program (September - May).
Participants attend classes 2 days/week (Tuesday & Thursday) from 4:00pm - 6:30pm.
- Brainfood Summer Institute is a five-week summer program.
Participants attend classes 4 days/week (Monday - Thursday) from 1:00pm - 3:30pm.
Although programs vary, here is a sample of some of the topics we cover:
- Introduction to Brainfood
- Kitchen Orientation & Kitchen Safety
- Measurements and Kitchen Tools
- MyPlate & Food groups
- Knife Skills and Kitchen Safety
- Baking & Dough
- Delicious Vegetable Dishes
- Amazing Vegetarian & Vegan Foods
- Healthy breakfast & lunch foods
- Keeping my body healthy
- Donation Days
- Student Requests
- Whole Grains
- Candy making
- Meats and Seafood
- Dairy & Cheese
- Seasonings and Spices
- Cooking on a Budget
- Salads & Salad Dressing
- International Foods
- Skills Review
During the program year, Brainfood hosts an Open Kitchen Night where participants prepare their favorite dishes for their family and friends.
Brainfood Kitchen All Stars culminates in our Brainfood Chefs' Challenge and Graduation, an event where teams of participants compete and create and array of tasty dishes.
Interested in applying? Click here to download an application.